The recent hot, dry spell last night saw an orchardist's rubbish fire reignite more than five weeks after it was last lit.
Katikati fire chief Joe Manukau said the brigade were called to a rubbish fire on Beach Rd about 7.45pm yesterday.
"It was an orchardist who had piled up rubbish in a pit. The last time he had a fire in there was five to six weeks ago. I think because of the heat it's been smouldering away and with the fresh stuff on it just reignited."
The fire was contained and was not endangering anyone but the fire service were called to extinguish it because of the total fire ban, he said.
Pukehina fire fighters were also called out to extingish a small rubbish fire at a property on State Highway 2 about 7.30pm yesterday.
Pukehina fire chief Errol Watts said someone had lit the fire despite the ban.
The blaze was quickly extingusihed and fire fighters warned the property owner about starting fires during the ban.