No charges for sex attack at sea

By Sandra Conchie

1 comment


No charges will be laid against a crew member aboard the cruise ship Millennium who was accused of sexual assaulting a middle-aged female passenger while the vessel was at sea.


The 294-metre luxury liner which had sailed from Fiji docked in Tauranga at 5.12am on Friday, and a team of Tauranga detectives began their investigation shortly after.


The woman alleged the assault had occurred while the ship was sailing in Fiji waters.


Acting Detective Senior Sergeant Peter Blackwell told the Bay of Plenty Times this afternoon that after speaking to the team of investigators who thoroughly investigated the woman's complaint and had completed their inquiries this morning, a decision was made not to charge the crew member.


Mr Blackwell said there was insufficient evidence to prosecute the staff member, and both the complainant and the ship's hierarchy had been fully informed.


The Millennium sailed for Auckland at 4.15pm on Friday.


Mr Blackwell said any follow-up action in relation to the passenger's complaint is now between her, the captain and the ship's owners, as New Zealand police have no further involvement in this matter.

 

- BAY OF PLENTY TIMES

Sort by
  • Oldest

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_n6 at 01 Oct 2014 09:07:44 Processing Time: 657ms