The man who suffered horrific burns when a car exploded on him is recovering well nearly a week later.
The 42-year-old was flown to Waikato Hospital on Wednesday last week after petrol vapours ignited in a car he was working underneath at his son's Te Puke property.
The man suffered second degree burns to his face and hands and had been placed in an induced coma.
However, now he was awake and in good spirits, the man's daughter-in-law said.
The family have asked not to be identified.
"He's awake now and doing stuff. He's doing really well and chatting away.''
She said the family did not know how long her father-in-law would remain in hospital for, as his hands still required attentive treatment.
"It's just his hands now. They haven't given him a time yet. I'd say it will be a while given the nature of his injuries.''
A hospital spokeswoman could not be reached today for comment.