Search for missing man stalls

By Kiri Gillespie


The search for missing man Shaun Hogarth has been stalled a week after the 23-year-old was left alone at sea when the boat he was in capsized.

Western Bay of Plenty police are reviewing the search for the Tauranga man's body before continuing any further.

Mr Hogarth was with three others in a stolen dinghy off shore from Omokoroa when the boat capsized Tuesday night last week.

Police, Tauranga Coastguard, Land Search and Rescue and Mount Maunganui and Omanu Surf Clubs scoured the area for Mr Hogarth, until yesterday.

Inspector Karl Wright St-Clair said the review was to ensure police had not missed anything and they would act on recommendations that would come from the review.

Mr Wright St-Clair said despite hundreds of boats on the water during the long weekend, Mr Hogarth remained missing seven days after the incident.

It was understood Mr Hogarth's family, who have asked for privacy, were continuing to search on their own. On Friday, police announced they no longer expected to find Mr Hogarth alive.

The three other men all made it to shore, including 22-year-old Liam Kane, who raised the alarm with Omokoroa residents that night but has not been seen since. Police believe he remains in the Tauranga area.

"We are pretty frustrated that Liam has chosen not to come forward, given that he does have information that would be helpful [to the search]," Mr Wright St-Clair said. "It would be better if he came forward before we had to put other resources in to finding him that could be put to better use."

The two other men, Dylan Baxter 25, and Samuel Butler, 22, have been charged with theft of a boat and were expected to next appear in court on Friday.

- Bay of Plenty Times

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 22 Dec 2014 16:31:22 Processing Time: 370ms