A man has suffered serious head injuries following a gas explosion at a Tauranga scrap metal yard this morning.
Fire communications shift manager Jaron Phillips understood the man was using a gas cutter to open a metal container at Scrapman in Maleme St, Greerton about 8.45am.
"The gas has ignited," he said.
The metal container had previously contained methanol, also known as wood alcohol, which be used as an alternative fuel for internal combustion and other engines.
The injured man is believed to be an employee at Scrapman.
Greerton and Tauranga Fire Brigades are on the scene and an ambulance left at 9am.
A reporter at the scene said a large warehouse had been cordoned off by police.
Mr Phillips said firefighters were first on the scene administering first aid and ensuring the scene was safe.