Police look into NZ First election ad

1 comment


A New Zealand First advertisement referred to police for possibly breaking electoral rules was not an election ad, party leader Winston Peters says.

The advertisement was for NZ First MP Brendan Horan and appeared in a weekend community newspaper on November 11.

The Electoral Commission said the ad was not authorised in writing by the party secretary and did not have a promoter's statement, which all election advertising is required to have, and had been referred to the police. <inline type="recurring-inline" id="1003" align="outside" enforce-sites="no" />

However, Mr Peters said he disagreed with the commission's interpretation of the ad.

"It is the purpose of the advertisement and what it intends to do that affects whether there's an authorisation or not ... It wasn't an election ad."

Mr Peters said an elderly volunteer was responsible for not including the statement in the ad, and regretted the oversight.

- BAY OF PLENTY TIMES

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on red akl_a1 at 20 Apr 2014 12:39:42 Processing Time: 344ms