China says suspect caught in deadly bomb attack

BEIJING (AP) Chinese police have detained a man suspected of setting off a series of explosions outside ruling Communist Party offices in a northern city that killed one person and wounded eight.

A statement from the Shanxi provincial government says Feng Zhijun was apprehended around 2:00 a.m. Friday and has confessed to the crime. It says the 41-year-old had been previously sentenced to nine years in prison for theft, but gave no word on a motive for the blasts.

The statement says bomb making materials and other evidence has been found at Feng's residence.

Wednesday's blasts were reminiscent of the kind of revenge attacks occasionally launched by disgruntled citizens in China. Assailants angered at perceived injustices have blown up buses, stabbed officials and attacked schools.

This story has been automatically published from the Associated Press wire which uses US spellings

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf01 at 20 Dec 2014 10:08:18 Processing Time: 409ms